Pferdemarkt (Horse Market)
Originally known as the “Großer Markt” (“Grand Market”), it is first mentioned in written records in 1402. The Pferdemarkt is the part of the market that lies to the north of the Marktkirche (the Market Church of St Nicolas). In the Middle Ages, knights’ jousting tournaments were held here. To this day the Pferdemarkt and the Marktkirche, along with the historical Hochzeitshaus (Wedding House) form the heart of Hamelin’s Old Town.